Tuesday, June 9, 2020

her history as a painter

Archive of the Works I've completed as a painter 
before I gave up 
but when I still had hope 

1. Studio Ghibli 

I didn't name this work because it wasn't significant enough at the time. I wasn't yet aware of the norms surrounding painting, the respect you give a canvas before you touch it. I still love the painting like I didn't trace the characters. 



2. Geometric Patterns

I was learning about shapes as a teenager. I think i'm probably the most uncreative mind to walk the planet, and I had the audacity to pick up a paint brush. Nothing to see here, just some colors and shapes at the end of the day. 


3. Venus in her Shell 
I don't know what came next, so bear with me. I created her when I was unsure of myself as a woman. I know that I'm a woman now, but there was an unsure time where I could have been anything. As much as I admire her, I can't bring myself to touch the canvas again. I feel like I've moved past creating bodies on a canvas, at least for now. 


4. Bob Ross
I painted this as a last ditch effort. The spirit of Bob Ross embodied me; overtook me, and I found myself painting a river. or a lake? I can't tell which it is. Regardless, I posted this painting on twitter and got lots of interactions. I hope they leave this painting on my tombstone. 


5. What I know I can see
I just named this painting. Just at this moment. 6/9/2020. Does anyone know where this is in real life? It's based on a picture I saw online. Isn't it amazing how we see photos online and we become artists? We copy and copy until we create!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Letters by Jasmin Salas

Letters  Jasmin Salas I couldn’t sleep the night my mother passed away. My sisters and I laid in our shared bed, covering our entire bodies ...